Tuesday, October 30, 2007

New Book by Marilynne Robinson On the Horizon...

Yesterday's PW Daily (the newsletter of Publishers Weekly magazine) reported that Marilynne Robinson's new novel has been sold to FSG (since it's a short article I've posted it in its entirety):

"Marilynne Robinson, whose bestselling second novel, Gilead, took the 2005 Pulitzer Prize in addition to the National Book Critics Circle Award, has signed again with Jonathan Galassi at Farrar, Straus & Giroux for a new novel. Robinson has just completed the book, to be called Home. Ellen Levine at Trident sold U.S. rights only. Home shares its setting with Gilead, and its action is concurrent with that novel’s. Characters from Gilead will also appear in Home. FSG plans a September 2008 publication. Robinson’s first novel, Housekeeping, published in 1980, won the PEN/Hemingway award and was nominated for the Pulitzer."

I'm really pleased to hear that we'll be getting a new novel from Ms. Robinson so soon (it was twenty three years between her first two!), but I was startled when I read that it will take place in the same world as Gilead. I feel a little disappointed and I can't put my finger on why, exactly. But I'm looking forward to being proven wrong!

1 comment:

Alex said...

Thanks for the info. I share the same odd feeling of disappointment with you about its continuity with Gilead. I think its because I loved the book so much and had a general feeling of contentedness after reading it. I feel like I don't want to upset that perfect story that Robinson created.