Friday, January 9, 2009

My Staff Pick

New staff picks were due today and as usual I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to recommend. There were A LOT from which I was trying to choose. I thought about my recent faves, Blindspot, Graceling, and then I thought about doing something a little more old-school and recommending Cooking for Mr. Latte or Tender at the Bone (there's something about the winter that just leads me to food memoirs). In honor of Sasha and Malia I thought of recommending The President's Daughter and I still think I might see if I can slip that in as an extra this month.


Finally I decided on a book I loved last year that just came out in paperback--Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips. It tells the story of Greek gods run amok in modern London and the unsuspecting humans who fall prey to their shenanigans, and it completely charmed me when I first read it. Thinking about the book always makes me smile, and while part of me feels like maybe it's more of a summer read I decided in the end that maybe it's actually good to have something light and fun to turn to while cold brutal winter sets in over the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I love Ellen Emerson White, and I was so impatient for the latest Meg book to come out last year. Long Live the Queen is still my favorite of the bunch, though.

And Gods Behaving Badly is such a fun book - I especially love that Aphrodite's ringtone is Venus by Bananarama :)