Saturday, August 6, 2011

Another book-binding!!!




I have two dear friends who may be cranky I'm posting this, but I left their pretty faces out for their privacy. Yesterday was their wedding, and it was amazing. They eliminated ego and pomp, gluttony and the consumer expectations all tied to the young North American marriage expectation, and did it their own way, and quite frankly it was the most delightful wedding I have ever been to...(My Pa's been married 4 times so trust me I'm an expert.)



They got me thinking about all the resources available to us if we decide we want to have a small, DIY community grown wedding. The store has a fantastic craft section, a large wedding magazine collection/ section and tons of affordable quirk in the C&G. After that they found friends to do amazing photography; specifically Lindsey Metivier, (Owner of Aviary, a stunning and sweet gallery in JP.) (The pics here are mine...I compulsively took these oldy-looking pics but that's another blog on self-control and simulacrum.)


For their flowers they asked the wildly talented former employee of the Booksmith, Moira Thompson to arrange their stunning flowers. She now owns her own floral business called Moss.


There is so much local affordable talent in this town, it is a shame to look anywhere else.

They finished off with a photo shoot on our ladders amongst our stocks surrounded by their mutual love of books. If this sounds familiar, or smacks of all the "love- local" rhetoric, well good. I meant it to. Their fierce independence, and love of each other reminds me of this Emerson quote.

"Why do we need to follow the Doric or the Gothic model? Beauty, convenience, grandeur of thought and quaint expression are as near to us as any, and if the American artist will study with hope and love the precise thing to be done by him, considering the climate, the soil, the length of the day, the wants of the people, the habit and form of the government, he will create a house in which all these will find themselves fit together, and taste and sentiment will be satisfied as well."


-Emerson



To fierce independence, love, and life.


No comments: