Monday, July 4, 2011

... independence.







in·de·pen·dence noun \ˌin-də-ˈpen-dən(t)s\

Definition of INDEPENDENCE

1: the quality or state of being independent

2 archaic : competence

I have always felt that the fourth of July is sorta the New Year's of the summer. I've never cared for the decorations. The screaming. That being what it is, fireworks are lovely,--but what a weird way to celebrate...."hey look up there in the sky...remember the noises bombs made when we killed people?" I wonder if the squirrels know we are only playing pretend-bombs, technicolor bombs.

At the register today I had a surge of pride, our country is only 235 years old. How lucky I am to be on this land. How lucky that I can yell, and criticise and bitch to anyone I want, that my mouth is protected. Think of all the inventions that came for from this country...(seriously...check out Wikipedia.) We were borne from brilliant extremist rogue savants.

I think about how glad I am to work where I work. How there is something in this store to offend everyone, and to please everyone. How Brookline chooses everyday, to support this store, and how grateful we are to try and reflect back the fierce intellectual independence of this town.

Enjoy your independence, and your independents.

No comments: