Thursday, October 6, 2011

One poem you should read right now. Especially if this hasn't been your week.












Dell'interno


aria from Giancarlo Cazetti's L'anima di Marina



Sad, you are sad, say the pitying ones.
I have consulted my wisest friends,
I have brought my troubles to the priest,
I have knelt till my knees are cold.


But in no place does the sorrow part,
this curtain that muffles me from light and warmth.
I stare into green leaves but they do not open for me.
I sit in the sun and the sun stays cold.


It is as if the world itself has said No.
It offers to me only a cold surface, dull
but slick, where I cannot grasp hold.
It tells me this is the bed I have made.


Inland, I long for the sea. It too
is cold, but with time the cold goes warm
and its roar is like a mother's heart
and its No becomes the one I speak.





This is from April Bernard's collection Romanticism. Buy it here. *Or *come on in, it's on the display shelf in poetry.









No comments: