Monday, July 22, 2013

It won't be summer forever.

Now that temperatures have subsided from the raging yet sticky inferno that was last week, it's easy to wish that summer would last forever. There are moments when I harbor that wish myself. But then I remember that if summer didn't end, we'd never get to the fall releases. And they are delicious. A few I've checked out that I'm looking forward to handing to customers:




Flora is kind of a strange girl. Ulysses is an even stranger squirrel. I won't tell you which one of them writes poetry, but Flora's more into comics. In fact, brief sections of the story are told in a graphic format. (Intermediate.)



Hilary's father thinks she belongs in a charm school. He's wrong. Before you can say "The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates," she's found her way to sea. Very nearly honorably. (Intermediate.)



After a tumultuous junior year, Josh decides to escape for his senior year. What better place to mull things over than with his uncle, Jackie Chan's biggest fan? (Young adult.)



This companion to Code Name Verity (which also stands alone) tells the story of Rose, an eighteen-year-old World War II pilot who's captured and brought to Ravensbrück, a women's concentration camp. Intense though it sometimes is, it has a lighter touch than some Holocaust novels, and the characters' personalities make the difficult setting easier to take. (Young adult.)



I'm a sucker for a good secret, and if anyone's good at the slow reveal, it's Patrick Ness. There were parts that made me shake my fist, but that just means I cared. (Young adult.)

Keep mining that awesome summer reading list, guys. But know that when you've gotten through it, some great fall books await.

No comments: