Monday, July 7, 2014

But wait...Is That a Beach Read?

My three exciting books!

1. Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater
Guys. Guys. More on this in a minute.

2. None the Number by Oliver Jeffers
The lovably ridiculous Hueys are back this time tackling the difficult world that is numbers.

3. Conversion by Katherine Howe
There's been a lot of hype around this book. And while I haven't had the chance to pick it up yet, everytime I hear about it it gets bumped higher on my reading list. Inspired by The Crucible and the events of the Salem Witch Trials, it's supposed to be creepy and wonderful.

This is the time of year where you can barely walk past a store without seeing the words BEACH [insert thing they are selling here]! I get it, summer is for the beach. But sometimes I like to stop and actually look at the displays and think about how practical they actually are. This, obviously includes, bookstore displays.

I've seen any number of these displays around the city. Some are better than others but there's been an overwhelming trend in them when it comes to YA books;

The Fault in Our Stars.


I love the book. Please read it. But I don't think that I would include it on a list of books I think should be read in public. I mean, as a younger sister, I have an appreciation for embarrassing people in public but even I'm not going to recommend that to someone to read for a fun day at the beach. It's just not that kind of book. It's a curled-up-at-home-by-yourself book.

So, I figured I would put together my own list of beach/park/train summer books.

These books are fun and less likely to make you sob in a public place.

Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater
(I told you I'd be getting there)
Okay, so this book is a little better, I think, if you've read the others (which I feel are more winter books), but it's the epitome of 'summer book.' LA set and filled with wicked tongues, sharp longing, and even hotter weather. This is a beach book.

Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman
If you're looking for a book that's going to amuse you, or maybe a younger sibling/child for a little while this is what you're looking for. It's fun and full of heart and wit.

13 Little Blue Envelopes and The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson
Longing to go on a trip? Just follow Ginny as she travels Europe following one little envelope after another. They're sweet and bright.

Oliver and His Egg by Paul Schmid
Most kids don't need encouragement to use their imagination but Oliver and His Egg is a fun story anyway. Who knows what sort of games it'll spawn!

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su
A fun and modern take on Pride and Prejudice, taken from the Emmy winning Youtube series. It's delightful and funny and perfect for a lazy summer day.

CardCaptor Sakura by Clamp
Fouth grader Sakura is going to save the world and she's going to be nice and non-snarky while she does it. Sweet, fun, and a great book for you and your younger sibling share.

Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi
Fun. Action packed with bright illustration and fun characters. Perfect for a break from the heat.

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Four sisters go on a summer adventure! How could you possibly get anymore beach book than that?

The Other Normals by Ned Vizzini
Few authors can capture being a teenager quite like Ned Vizzini.In this one our hero, Perry, is sent to camp to learn how to be "normal" and outdoorsy. Perfect for the person, like myself, who might prefer to spend their summer inside.

Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses by Kimberly and James Dean
The perfect summer song/story about a pair of sunglasses that make everything thing seem just a little bit better.

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
If you're going to hang out outside with all of the bugs it couldn't hurt to read a book where maybe the bugs aren't so bad.

So, maybe these aren't your idea of perfect summer books, but they're definitely mine. And even if you don't mind crying in public they're all certainly worth a read.

-Amy

No comments: