I'm pretty good at deciding what constitutes a good beach read. Here is my list of important questions to ask yourself when selecting one:
- Will the book fit over my face so I can have a brief respite from the sun?
- Will I be mad if any of the following touches it?
- liquids, including but not limited to: water, saltwater, beer, slushie
- sunblock, especially the spray kind
- hot dog remnants
- a child or a sweaty friend
- Will I regret carrying it however long I need to carry it?
- My brain will be in a delicate, overheated and possibly dehydrated state. Will this book push me over the edge and make me monologue about esoteric topics?
- Can this book be used as self-defense against seagulls?
Important things, all. If you guys need me I'll be at a beach with Book 2, talking about whatever minutiae Karl Ove writes about in this one, completely engrossed.
|Knausgaard goes along really well with my beach bag, even though he's published by FSG.|