Saturday, April 17, 2010

respect without the romance


I don't have a digital camera for a myriad of reasons. Mostly I don't have the cash, and there is something that feels transient about the experience, I can take so many pictures that it would border compulsion, each one meaning less and less....
the other reason is--- I have a monster fear of losing pictures that I love...
...that's why I still use film (120) and use the hardiest, cheapest camera out there...the holga.
I don't chose to use film because it is kitchy and urban outfitters broadcasts the hipness of lomography with their overpriced film section...
I don't romanticise old technologies simply because they are old... I use them because I know that it is important that the tradition live on casually somewhere...and they force my frantic brain to settle down, and focus on taking one good shot.
I have to keep the compulsion to collect, accrue and consume in check.



Friends have told me about holga & poloroid apps on their iphones- and that's great....(feels cheap but whatever it looks great.) The reason it wouldn't cut it for me is because the process is lost. I want that slowness. It's good for me.

I'm resisting running the parallel of ink to page ....and ebooks to book-books, and bookstores....(That's another post)...but I think you can image the lines I'd draw. One line...when all the data is corrupted and the servers go down- how will the future be sure this wasn't a dark age?


Mostly- I want to understand how things age...how their purpose changes, how we make meaning of things, how meaning is made of us... how obsolescence changes the way we view the medium...


Mostly I'm protective ...when it gets old...and other people are throwing it away...I love it more.

© Kate Robinson 2010

1 comment:

Kate Robinson said...

It just occured to me that I may be a liar....I would take the digital if it came-a-courtin'...I just wouldn't part with Holga.