Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Sock Bonanza



Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee's book, it's really here!

The moment I saw Bink trying to put on her new "outrageously bright" striped socks, I fell in love. Of course, I will admit that I have a great sock obsession, even though I wear my Chacos 300 days out of the year in just my bare feet... But, cool socks are cool socks (provided they're not made from cotton), and so are their owners. Socks...socks...socks! :)

Oh, what is this book I like, no, absolutely LOVE? It is written by Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo (author of Because of Winn Dixie, Tale of Despereaux, and numerous other awesome stories) and by New York Times best-selling writer Alison McGhee (author of the wonderful Julia Gillian series as well as several picturebooks). This book would not be complete without Tony Fucile's illlustrations. Oh, sorry, the title...is Bink and Gollie -- two girls who have completely different personalities but in the end manage to stay the best of friends.

Bink and Gollie, comprised of three adventures, is a cross between a picture book and early chapter book. In the first adventure, after Bink buys the socks that Gollie finds brightfully painful, they must strike a compromise or else be very lonely (without eating the pancakes). In the second, Gollie decides to climb a mountain in the Andes. She leaves a note on her door: "'To whom it may concern I am on a journey. Thus I am unable to answer the door.'" Bink is baffled, "'Am I whom?' Knock, knock, knock!". For the third I will only tell you that it involves a fish, roller skates, and a bit of jealousy. Each story will leave you laughing out loud -- guaranteed!

Ooh, and Bink's socks show up in each story in very humorous (but practical) ways.

If you can't get a hold of a copy right away, check out this website to read more about the book, authors, and raving reviews while you wait! (P.S. I've heard that Kate DiCamillo bears a resemblance to Bink, and Alison McGhee to Gollie.)

No comments: