Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Raindrops and Other Tales




I'm completely in the minority around here, but I love the rain. If you know my writing, you might even say I'm obsessed with it. Oh, I love the sun too, but rain cannot sing the same way sun rays or birds can.

During this past week's storm I wanted nothing more than to listen to the music of the rain snapping against the window and read through my to-be-read piles. Why? Because the symphony of rhyme and rhythm falling in the rain is the perfect background for long reads -- and quick ones, too.


April Rain Song

Let the rain kiss you.
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops.
Let the rain sing you a lullaby.

The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk.
The rain makes running pools in the gutter.
The rain plays a little sleep-song on our roof at night --

And I love the rain.

--Langston Hughes

1 comment:

Paul Theriault said...

i'll take rain over shine any day. there's no life without rain, emily.
GO TEAM PRECIPITATION.