Monday, March 8, 2010

This Stack of Books on My Desk

We all do it. Some use shelves. Some have empty shelves but lots of books. Some have full shelves and a tidy abode. A few have stacks on the floor in front of the shelves. Some have a full shelf, stacks on the floor (sort of) and a big ol' fresh stack on their desk. I am the latter. The photo above my stack in its most recent form - though a little bit positioned to give it a sexy aura. In reality, my desk is cluttered with books. Mostly chapbooks and pamphlets. Ephemera. I prefer it that way. What's the point in trying to get work done if you can't have a little fun?

my biggest book-genre distractions are poetry, books about civil war-era generals who (debatably) went haywire, books about the building of books, and, the sweet-tooth of them all, books about carnival barkers. So here it is, This Stack of Books on My Desk:

    O City by Wayne Miller
    Boris By The Sea by Matvei Yankelevich
    Bookbinding by Edith Diehl
    The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick (ARC)
    Nightmare Alley by William L Gresham (ARC)
    To Hell On A Fast Horse by Mark Lee Gardner (ARC)
    A Plate of Chicken by Matthew Rohrer
    G-Point Almanac: Passyunk Lost by Kevin Verbone
    Transcendental Studies by Keith Waldrop

All (except O City) I either got at or through Booksmith, which speaks to the diversity of our selection. Especially in the area of small presses. But that will be next week's topic.

No comments: